Diwali & Me — Recipes To Make Your Diwali Feast for One Simply Lit
Culture & Lifestyle Nov 04, 2020
Diyas are lit, prayers are done and now it’s time to dive into a yummy vegetarian feast. In current times, Diwali may look a little different, and in the case where you may be on your own there shouldn’t be anything holding you back from a delicious meal. Check out these recipes to make your solo Diwali festivities vibrant.
Aloo Onion Almost Samosas
1 sheet puff pastry (pre-made)
1 medium sweet onion
2 medium potatoes
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon Garam masala
Salt to taste
- Defrost puff pastry overnight, or according to package.
- Peel, slice onions thinly and set aside. Peel, dice potatoes into half inch cubes, and set aside in bowl of water.
- Drizzle oil in a pan, add onions. Allow onions to cook until soft.
- Add potatoes and cook on medium heat until potatoes begin to soften.
- Add spices and continue to cook until potatoes begin to fall apart and onions are golden. Slightly mash the potatoes and onion together. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out puff pastry and cut into eight squares. Divide the potato mix into eight portions.
- Brush milk around the edges of the square and add a portion of the potato in the middle. Fold square over into a triangle and pinch the edges closer. Repeat for each square.
- Place triangles on a parchment lined baking tray. Brush the tops with milk and place in over. Bake until pastry is puffed and browned, about 20mins. Serve with tamarind or mint-cilantro sauce.
Classic Grilled Corn On The Cob (Bhuttas)
*We went back into our archives and found this great recipe from our recent street-food recipe story, which perfectly adds the harvest/fall vibe to your Diwali feast.
6 fresh shucked corn
1 lemon sliced into 6 wedges
½ butter or ghee
1 tablespoon chaat masala
1 teaspoon ground chili
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon cumin
Fresh coriander, chopped, optional
- Preheat grill on high. While grill is warming, to make the spice mix, mix chaat masala, ground chili, salt, and cumin in a small bowl and set aside.
- Grill corn on BBQ with lid closed, until done, approximately 10 mins.
- Remove corn from grill, and brush with butter.
- Sprinkle spice mix over butter corn, and squirt fresh lemon juice over corn. Sprinkle fresh coriander if desired and serve immediately.
1 cup red lentils, washed
1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 shallot minced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
1 dried chili (or 1 teaspoon Chili flakes)
1/2 garam masala
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric paste
Salt to taste
Lemon wedge, optional
Fresh cilantro, to serve, optional
1/2 Cup Baby spinach, washed and sliced optional
- Add a drizzle of oil to a warm sauce pan and add all the spices, except salt. Let toast until fragrant about 1-2 minutes.
- Add lentils and stock and stir.
- Let cook on medium low for approximately 20 minutes, stirring every 5-7 minutes.
- After 20 minutes check firmness of lentils, they should be getting soft. Taste and add salt. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until lentils begin to break apart. Add some water if dhal is too thick. Once you have the consistency you like turn the heat off.
- To serve, place spinach in the bottom of a dish and spoon hot dhal on top, dhal will wilt and cook the spinach. Top with cilantro and fresh lemon juice, serve with rice or naan.
If you are feeling more a hearty soup check out this recipe from our South Indian Soups story!
Rasam is a light and tangy soup base that is simple and easy to make. Popular in South India, it only takes a few ingredients and spices and you’ll have a wonderful soup you can have on its own, with more ingredients or served with side dishes.
3 small tomatoes, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 pinch of asafoetida to taste
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
5 fresh curry leaves
1/2 cup coriander leaves, rinsed and chopped
2 cups water
1 cup room temperature water
Salt to taste
Add chopped tomatoes and ginger to the room temperature water with a pinch of salt and set sit for a few minutes.
Drain tomatoes and ginger and add peppercorns, cumin, asafoetida, curry leaves, coriander and pinch more salt and grind into a paste.
Bring remaining 2 cups of water to a gentle boil and add pasta.
In another pan, add a drizzle of oil and let heat up. Add mustard seeds and toast lightly until fragrant. Add toasted mustard seeds and oil to soup and serve.
For Tamarind Rasam: Follow the same recipe above but soak 2 small pods of fresh tamarind or a 2-inch piece of tamarind paste in 1/2 up warm water. Let the fruit soften and remove any seeds. Mash the fruit and stir until smooth. Add the tamarind paste when adding the Rasam base to water and continue the same way indicated above.
Gulab Jamun & Ice Cream
3 gulab jamun in syrup
2 small scoops vanilla ice cream
Toasted pistachios, optional
- Warm the gulab jamun and syrup and pour over ice cream.
- Top with pistachio if you’d like and serve immediately.
From our coffee recipes story this would be the perfect way to kick back and enjoy the fruits of your cooking.
- 2 black tea bags
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 slice of fresh ginger
- 1 star anise seed
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ cup steamed or hot milk
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 cardamom pod, crushed
- A splash of vanilla syrup (see recipe below), optional
- Top with some ground cinnamon (optional)
- Bring water, tea bags, ginger, anise seed, cinnamon and cardamom pod to a boil, and let steep for 5 minutes until the tea is strong and fragrant.
- Mix honey and vanilla syrup into hot milk.
- Strain tea into milk mixture and serve hot. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
Main Image Photo Credit:
Cultivating a life she loves, Geeta (@geets.suites) is chasing all her passions, including her love for home décor. As a brand new home owner, her current journey has launched her further into that world - check out her Instagram @geets.suites for tidbits of her story and other decorating pieces. A...
VP Debate Wrap Up: Kamala Harris Showed The World What We As Women Of Colour Have To Deal With Every Day
ANOKHI LIFE Marks Its 18th Anniversary This November With A First Of Its Kind Collaboration To Support South Asian Businesses Worldwide
Profiles 3 & 4: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI List Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — For The Kids
The Colour Of Change: How Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris Became The Most Powerful South Asian Woman In The World
Profiles 9 & 10: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — For The Foodie
Profiles 11 & 12: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Books (Part One)
Profiles 13 & 14: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Wellness
Profiles 15 & 16: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Books (Part Two)
Profiles 27 & 28: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Guilty Pleasures
Profiles 29 & 30: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Home Decor
Why Our Founder/ CEO Raj Girn A 20-Year Media And Events Veteran, Is Launching A Transformation Academy To Build Personal & Professional Confidence During Trying Times ... And Why Her Mission Goes Deep Into Her Own 50-Year Trauma Journey
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
My Multiple Sclerosis Journey: Three Ways I've Enhanced My Wellness Routine
Here's How To Make Our Faith Bigger Than Our Fear
Summer Reading List: These 6 Desi Books Are Perfect For The Beach
Indulge In The Best Indo-Chinese & North Indian Dishes At Sugar & Spice Lounge In Queensbury
Suffering Has A Purpose — Here's What That Is
Stay Cool & Feel Fresh With These Tropical Fruit Recipes
Take A Closer Look At What Angers You In Order To Be More Compassionate
Red Light District Workers In India Are Struggling To Survive Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
Is It Time To Cancel The Catholic Church For Their Role In Canada's Residential Schools?
Pride Is A Lifestyle, Not A Month: Mango Lassi On His Life As An ‘Openly Queer, Femme Man'
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This July 2021
These Are The Reasons Why It's Important To Balance Grief & Gratitude
Cumin Crusted Chicken & More: These Recipes Will Bring Our Favourite Spices To Life
These Are The 7 Ways You Can Get A Good Night's Sleep
It's Important To Understand The Power of Saying "No"
A Mindful Guide To Understanding The Grieving Process
Check Out These Father's Day Recipes That Any Desi Dad Will Love!
PRIDE 2021 Special: Let Me Tell You My Trans Journey From Female To Male & How That Has Affected My Desi Family
This Is Why Malala Won't Marry Your Son
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This June 2021
Let It Out Because These Are The Reasons Why Crying Is Good For You
PRIDE 2021 SPECIAL: 10 LGBTQ+ Voices That We Need To Listen To
South Asian Heritage Month 2021: #Reclaimingmyname — We Need To Stop Mispronouncing Our Name For The Benefit Of Others
Part Two: What Goes Up Must Come Down: Conquering The Cycle Of Panic
Part One: What Goes Up Must Come Down — Understanding & Navigating The Cycle Of Panic
Dine In Posh Pods At Ponsbourne Hotel Near Central London
South Asian Heritage Month 2021: 8 Desi Books That Will Create Teachable Moments For The Young Minds In Your Life
Meditate With Deepak Chopra & Alicia Keys Plus 4 Other Mindful Ways To Unplug & Relax Anywhere
The Ripple Effect: Why We Need To Pay Attention To Our Thoughts
Enjoy The Sunshine With These Fresh Drink Recipes That Have A Desi Twist
Feeling, Healing & Growth: Tips On How To Navigate Your Negative Emotions
OMG! Gulab Jamun Pancakes & Other Brilliant Brunch Recipes
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This May 2021
Give From Your Overflow … Not From Your Well! Tips On How To Help More Efficiently
South Asian Heritage Month 2021: Get Lit With These 8 Trending Novels By Desi Authors
This Delish Ramadan Charcuterie Board Is The Perfect Addition To Iftar
My Takeaway Treat From Spice Rack Lounge In North West London
These Recipes Will Give Your Boring Salad A South Asian Kick
Put The Cookie Down! Recharge With These Recipes For Healthy Desi-Inspired Power Snacks
My Takeaway Treat With Madhu's New 2 Go Option In Knightsbridge, London
Cheap & Cheerful! Freshen Up Your Space This Spring With These 4 Decor Tips Under $40
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This April 2021
Sick Of Your Omelette? Check Out These Delish Desi Breakfast Recipes Right Here!
5 Reasons Why Volunteering Will Always Be Good For Your Soul
Make Your Reading List Lit With These 7 Spring Books By Desi Authors
I Tried A Plant-Based Diet & Here's What Happened
#IWD2021: The Great Shecession: Will Reshma Saujani's 'Marshall Plan For Moms' Save The Women Labour Force From Extinction?
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This March 2021
My Takeaway Treat From The Regency Club: Kenyan-Indian Fusion Fare In North London
From Muslims To Farmers: Is Modi Turning A Blind Eye To Human Rights?
Sri Lanka's Dark History Of Enforced Disappearances Of Its Citizens
Blasphemy Laws In Pakistan: A Weapon Used To Silence Religious Minorities
Teach Them The Value Of Stillness With These 3 Mindful Books For Toddlers
Guacamole Pani Puri & More: Give Your Vday Dinner A Desi Tapas Twist With These 7 Crazy Delicious Pani Puri Recipes
Indian Farmers Go Viral With Support From Rihanna, Greta Thunberg, Rupi Kaur & Lilly Singh
A Timeless Ritual: Why Is Burning Sage All The Rage?