While the cold hangs around for a bit longer, try these soups on for size. It’ll be like a warm hug to your insides.
Winter isn’t over yet, and you’ve already reached that point where you can’t decide if the snow-day is worth the shoveling. Try one of these soup recipes and not only will their warm veggie aromas make the mess outside seem like a bad dream, but these delicious, healthy, nutrient packed broths will also put a new “spring” in your step.
Indian Winter Soup
Ever heard the expression “everything but the kitchen sink?” This great recipe is just what the doctor ordered: toss it all in, simmer, cook and enjoy.
· 100g pearl barley
· 2 tbsp vegetable oil
· ½ tsp brown mustard seeds
· 1 tsp cumin seeds
· 2 green chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
· 1 bay leaf
· 2 cloves
· 1 cinnamon stick
· ½ tsp ground turmeric
· 1 large onion, chopped
· 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
· 1 parsnip, cut into chunks
· 200g butternut squash, cut into chunks
· 200g sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
· 1 tsp paprika
· 1 tsp ground coriander
· 225g red lentils
· 2 tomatoes, chopped
· small bunch coriander, chopped
· 1 tsp grated ginger
· 1 tsp lemon juice
1. Rinse the pearl barley and cook following pack instructions. Once tender, drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pan. Fry the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chilies, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and turmeric on a low heat until fragrant and the seeds just start to crackle.
3. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 5-8 minutes until soft. Add parsnip, butternut and sweet potato and mix thoroughly, making sure the vegetables are fully coated with the oil and spices.
4. Sprinkle in the paprika, ground coriander and seasoning, and mix again.
5. Add lentils, pearl barley, tomatoes and 1.7 liters water and bring to a boil.
6. Turn down and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
7. When the lentils are almost cooked, stir in the chopped coriander, ginger and lemon juice and cook for another 30 minutes.
Chicken Noodle Udon Soup
Same old chicken soup getting you down? Try this twist on grandma’s favourite for a great way to warm your innards!
· 1 (3 1/2-ounce) package fresh shiitake mushrooms?
· 4 cups chicken stock?
· 6 (1/4-inch) slices peeled fresh ginger?
· 3 garlic cloves, minced?
· 1 green onion, cut into 2-inch pieces?
· 1 star anise, optional
· 6 ounces dried Udon noodles
· 1 tablespoon canola oil?
· 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger?
· 1 garlic clove, minced?
· 1/4 cup dry sake or dry white wine?
· 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 8 ounces)?
· 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce?
· 1 tablespoon honey?
· 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt?
· 1/4 cup diagonally cut green onions
1. Remove stems from mushrooms and put them aside for later.
2. Thinly slice mushroom caps; set aside.
3. Combine mushroom stems, chicken stock, ginger, garlic, green onion and star anise in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
4. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about twenty minutes.
5. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes, then strain stock through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids.
6. Cook Udon noodles according to package directions and rinse with cold water and set aside
7. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat and sauté sliced mushroom caps for 2 minutes in canola oil. Add minced ginger and minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
8. Add sake, and cook for 4 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
9. Add stock to pan. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low.
10. Add chicken, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, and salt; simmer for 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Take mixture off the heat.
11. Divide noodles evenly among bowls. Add 1 1/2 cups soup to each bowl. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions and serve.
Pepper Rasam Soup
Need to clear your sinuses or fight that cold? This spicy soup should do you wonders.
· 100 gm Tomato
· 50 gm Tamarind
· 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
· 1 tsp cumin seeds
· 2 cloves of garlic
· 2 gm turmeric powder
· A couple curry leaves to taste
· salt to taste
· 1 gm coriander leaves
· 3 cups water
· 10 gm Ghee
· 2 gm mustard seeds
· 1 gm curry leaves
· 2 gm red chili whole
1. Soak the tamarind in a cup of warm water to extract its juice and then throw away the pulp.
2. Grind cumin seeds, pepper and garlic for a few seconds in a mixer.
3. Boil together tamarind extract, chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, crushed pepper, cumin, garlic, salt and curry leaves.
4. Once the soup comes to a boil, lower the flame to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the raw smell of the tamarind dissolves. At this point the Rasam is done.
5. Heat a teaspoon of ghee on low to medium heat in a frying pan and add mustard seeds to it. When it begins to splutter, add the red chili, curry leaves and pour it over the Rasam and serve.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This March 2021
My Takeaway Treat From The Regency Club: Kenyan-Indian Fusion Fare In North London
From Muslims To Farmers: Is Modi Turning A Blind Eye To Human Rights?
Sri Lanka's Dark History Of Enforced Disappearances Of Its Citizens
Blasphemy Laws In Pakistan: A Weapon Used To Silence Religious Minorities
Teach Them The Value Of Stillness With These 3 Mindful Books For Toddlers
Guacamole Pani Puri & More: Give Your Vday Dinner A Desi Tapas Twist With These 7 Crazy Delicious Pani Puri Recipes
Indian Farmers Go Viral With Support From Rihanna, Greta Thunberg, Rupi Kaur & Lilly Singh
A Timeless Ritual: Why Is Burning Sage All The Rage?
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This February 2021
How I've Been Taking Care Of My Mental Health Since My MS Diagnosis
My Takeout Treat From [email protected]: North Indian Cuisine With A Brit Twist
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This January 2021
It's Okay To Be Alone: Why Solitude Is Good For The Soul
Why Isn't Our Desi Community Ready To Accept South Asian Lesbians?
Reality Check: My West Indian Heritage Doesn't Make Me Any Less Indian
#BlackLivesMatter Needs The Right South Asian Ally
Tips On How To Embrace The New Decade With Positive Energy
South Asian Herstory: Why Kamala Harris Is The Risky Choice That This Election Needs
COVID-19: Are We The Virus? The (Much) Cleaner Earth Breathes In New Life Thanks To The Global Lockdown
20 In 2020: 20 South Asians Who Have Made A Difference In Politics This Year
Make The Perfect Holiday Feast For Your Solo Celebration
Why Our Founder/ CEO Raj Girn A 20-Year Media And Events Veteran, Is Launching A Transformation Academy To Build Personal & Professional Confidence During Trying Times ... And Why Her Mission Goes Deep Into Her Own 50-Year Trauma Journey
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This December 2020
The Delhi Chalo Protest: Why These Farmers Need To Fight
Profiles 29 & 30: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Home Decor
Profiles 27 & 28: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Guilty Pleasures
7 Ways To Give Your Gums A Healthy Boost
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This November 2020
Profiles 15 & 16: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Books (Part Two)
Profiles 13 & 14: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Wellness
Dishoom In London Serves Breakfast With Bombay Flair
Profiles 11 & 12: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Books (Part One)
Profiles 9 & 10: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — For The Foodie
The Colour Of Change: How Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris Became The Most Powerful South Asian Woman In The World
Diwali & Me — Recipes To Make Your Diwali Feast for One Simply Lit
Profiles 3 & 4: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI List Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — For The Kids
ANOKHI LIFE Marks Its 18th Anniversary This November With A First Of Its Kind Collaboration To Support South Asian Businesses Worldwide
Soho Wala Brings Small Plated Street Food Delights To Central London
Welcome Activia Shot Probiotic Yogurt Drink To Your Self-Care Routine
Farzana Doctor Sheds Light On A Secret & Controversial Custom In Her New Novel, "Seven"
8 Ways Brocade Can Bring Royal Vibes To Your Home This Festive Season
Elevate Your Evening At Benares In Mayfair, London
Make Your Soul Happy With This Fabulous Kashmiri Phirni Recipe!
VP Debate Wrap Up: Kamala Harris Showed The World What We As Women Of Colour Have To Deal With Every Day
How To Make The Perfect Thanksgiving Dinner For One
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That You Need In October 2020
Tips On How To Wallpaper Your Space The Right Way
Artisanal Special: Check Out These 6 Online Stores That Have The Coolest Indian Handicraft Pieces
Check Out The 6 South Asians Who Made TIME Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People of 2020
Artisanal Special: Vibe Up Your Place With These Gorgeous Handicrafts From 9 Regions Of India
London's Cinnamon Kitchen City Gives The Palate A Grand Affair
Turn The Page With These 6 Must-Read Fall Books
Toronto's Naan & Chai Gives Pakistani Cuisine A Delectable Twist
Luxury Indian Handbag Maker Aranyani, Focuses On Funding Education For Children In India
Create These Fab 5 Mocktail Recipes With The Latest Non-Alcoholic Drinks On The Market