Don't feel like hitting the stores this Boxing Day? Carry on the family fun at home by getting busy in the kitchen with some great holiday cookie recipes. There better than your grandma’s cookies, but just don’t tell her that.
Bring the family together by baking one or all of these delicious recipes over the holidays. Not only does it add that homemade touch to the festive season, it'll get the clan spending time with each other doing something that you can all have fun. The results are sure to be fantastic, though we can’t make any promises for the state of your kitchen.
Melting Snowmen Cookies
Asking if climate change is real is like asking, are sugar cookies delicious? Well, not everyone gets to have a white winter, but instead of mourning the lack of snow, celebrate the weather with these tasty melting snowmen.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
seeds from 1/2 of a vanilla bean (optional)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened to room temperature
· In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
· Cream together the sugar and butter with an electric mixer.
· Add eggs and continue blending.
· Add the vanilla extract, seeds from vanilla bean, sour cream and cream cheese and blend thoroughly.
· In 1/2 cup increments, add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until a soft dough forms.
· The dough should be sticky, but slightly firm.
· Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
· Once the dough has chilled, preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment. Set aside.
· Generously flour a work surface, unwrap your dough and place onto the floured surface. Dust the top of the dough with more flour.
· Roll out with a rolling pin until 1/3 inch thick and cut with a glass or with a cookie cutter into flat round discs.
· Lay these out on the baking sheets, evenly spaced and bake at 425 degrees F for 6-7 minutes until cookies become golden around the edges and feel slightly firm to the touch.
· Set aside to cool.
* Tip* Add your favorite extract flavoring to your cookie dough mix for your very own homemade touch.
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract or your favorite
assorted food coloring
. In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth.
· Beat in corn syrup and flavored extract until icing is smooth and glossy.
· If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
· The right consistency should drip slightly off of cookies, but for decorating it should be stiffer which means add more powdered sugar.
DECORATING MELTING SNOWMEN
Cake frosting (colored tubes)
· Once the cookies are cool, paint them with icing with the back of a spoon. Let some dribble over the edge for a "puddle" look.
· Spray a microwave safe plate with cooking spray and place marshmallows on the plate. Set the microwave for 30 seconds, but stop the microwave as soon as the marshmallows start to get puffy, but do not let them double in size.
· Spray your fingers with cooking spray and carefully pull the marshmallows off by the base, and set them on top of the frosted cookies, pushing them gently into the still-wet frosting.
· At this point either set the cookies aside for the frosting to set, before decorating, or just go ahead and decorate as you'd like with the frosting tubes, or your own homemade frosting!
Red Velvet Peppermint Thumbprint Kiss Cookies
Like the title, these cookies are a delicious mouthful! Easy to make too, enjoy spreading the love this holiday by pressing kisses into red velvet cookie dough and onto the cheeks of those you love.
1-1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon liquid red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar
Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses
· Preheat your oven to 325º
· Line cookie sheets in preparation with parchment paper
· In a small bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
· Combine oil, brown sugar and white sugar and blend until smooth.
· Add eggs and blend until creamy.
· Mix in red food coloring, vanilla and vinegar.
· Add flour mixture and blend until completely combined.
· Scoop dough into about 1" balls and place on cookie sheet, leaving even space between each one.
· Bake for about 12 minutes in preheated oven, or until edges are set.
· Remove from oven and press Hershey's Kiss candy into the middle of each cookie.
· Let rest for one minute and then gently tap the cookie sheet on counter to make the Kiss drop into a thumbprint. Alternately, if you want the Kiss intact, don't tap the cookie sheet.
· Let cool, harden and then enjoy.
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
A perfect marriage of salty and sweet, this dream-team is the holiday present you’ve been waiting for.
3/4 cup (1 & 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1/4 cup bacon fat
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 & 1/4 cup flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
8-10 ounces of bacon (or more, if you like)
· Fry bacon until crispy over stovetop, medium heat and set aside.
· Save the bacon grease in a glass container and allow to cool until solid.
· Preheat oven to 375 F.
· In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, bacon fat, sugars and vanilla. Blend until fluffy.
· Add eggs and baking soda and mix until thoroughly blended.
· Add flour and mix until thoroughly blended and then set aside.
· Crumble as much of the fried bacon as you would like sprinkled in your cookies.
· Stir in bacon and chocolate chips to dough.
· Drop rounded scoops, evenly spaced onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
· Bake in the oven at 375 F for about 8 minutes until slightly risen and golden brown
· Enjoy your sweet and salty treat (and then hit the gym)!
Try these cookies and add them to your baking repertoire for a winter holiday tradition everyone will love. Don't forget to tweet us your favourite creations.
· Courtesy of foodfunlife.blogspot.com
· Courtesy of Angela Gray; justapinch.com
Melting snowman.jpeg http://www.justapinch.com
· Courtesy of yummyhealthyeasy.com
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Ask Dr. Monica Vermani: I Can't Say No To People Without Feeling Guilty
Let’s Talk … About Your Relationship with You!
This Is Why Amsterdam In The Winter Is Simply Wonderful
Dear Dr. Monica Vermani Being Back In The Office Is Giving Me Anxiety
Indian Afternoon Tea At Bobby's In Leicester UK? Yes Please!
Dear Dr. Monica Vermani: Help! My Ex Tells His Friends His Cheating Is My Fault
Travel The World With Tamarind Modern Indian Bistro's Global Cuisine
Ask Dr. Monica Vermani: Winter Depresses Me, What Do I Do?
Ask Dr. Monica Vermani: How Do I Tell My Parents I Don't Want To Go To Business School?
Fabulous Holiday Gifts For Kids
Why 'Heroin Chic' Is A Dangerous Trend For South Asians
Highlights From The South Asian Literature And Arts Festival (SALA)
Ask Dr Monica Vermani: Her 5 Break Up Rules You Should Know
Roti Chai Is The Perfect Eatery To Hit Up While Christmas Shopping
I Loved Visiting This Quaint Town Of Bath
Indian Alley Brings Delhi's Iconic Roadside Eats To Camden Market
This Is Why Mauritius Is A Traveller's Dream
"Making Happy" By Sheetal Seth Is The Book Kids Need When Their Parent Is Sick
International Day Of The Girl: How Women Of The Sundarbans Are Saving Their Girls
The Murder Of Mahsa Amini: Will The Global Outcry Make A Difference?
South Asian Literature And Art Festival Is Bringing Together The Biggest Names In SA Lit And Here's Why You Need To Go
Canada's Most Powerful Women Were Celebrated At The Women Empowerment Awards 2022
It's All About The Home Cooked Veg Goodness At London's Ananda Bhavan
What Exactly Is A NFT And Why We Need To Stop Ignoring It
TIFF 2022: Checking Out The Fabulous Bask-It-Style Gift Lounge
Gopal’s Corner Blend Malaysian And Tamil Cuisine Creating An Unforgettable Bite
We Celebrate National Wildlife Day With Our 5 Fave Sanctuaries In India
Canary Wharf Heats Up Your Palate With Chai Ki
Ready To Find Your Match? You'll Need These 4 Desi Dating Apps In Your Life
Where Does Hinduism, Islam & Sikhism Stand In The Abortion Issue?
Never Forget: 12 Movies & Books To Help You Continue The Partition Conversation
From North To South London's Award-Winning Bayleaf Restaurant Elevates Indian Cuisine At Whetstone
Here's Why I Fell In Love With The Sea Views Of Southampton and Portsmouth
Shree Krishna Vada Pav In London Celebrates India's Iconic Veggie Dishes
The Pope’s Apology: A Closer Look At His “Pilgrimage Of Penance"
Want To Go To Marrakech? This Is What I Did
Virtual Pageants Celebrate Inclusivity & That's Why I Love Them
Here's How I Spent 48 Fabulous Hours In Lille, France
The Dishes At Central London's Mumbai Square Will Make You Want Seconds
4 Hot July 2022 Tech Gadgets That You Need Now!
10 South Asian LGBTQIA+ Leaders Who Are Using Their Platform To Break Barriers
Ganapati Peckham Brings South Indian Flavours To South London
Sanaa: This African/Indian Restaurant Is Disney's Best Kept Secret In Orlando
Travel: How I Got The Most Of My Weekend In Marbella, Spain
Pride Month 2022: This Glossary Will Teach You All The LGBTQIA+ Terms You Need To Know In 2022
Platinum Jubilee: How Relevant Is The Queen To South Asians?
Pride Month 2022: A List Of 20 Global Resources To Help You Support Your Journey With Your LGBTQIA+ Loved Ones
How To Let Go Of The Past And Create The Life You Want
Dhamaka In New York City Lets You Explore Cuisine "From The Forgotten Side Of India"
Madras Chettinaad Brings The Flavours Of Tamil Nadu To Atlanta, Georgia
3 Must Know Signs That A Problem Exists & How To Conquer Them
The 4 Hottest May 2022 Tech Gadgets You Need Now
South Asian Heritage Month 2022: From LGBTQIA+ Rights To Senior Dating, How Our Culture Is Becoming More Inclusive
How To Avoid Turning Your Words Into Weapons When It Comes To Mental Health
Looking For A Mindful Coach? Here's How To Spot The Fakers
Travel: How To Get The Most From Your Weekend In Budapest