Don't feel like hitting the stores this Boxing Day? Carry on the family fun at home by getting busy in the kitchen with some great holiday cookie recipes. There better than your grandma’s cookies, but just don’t tell her that.
Bring the family together by baking one or all of these delicious recipes over the holidays. Not only does it add that homemade touch to the festive season, it'll get the clan spending time with each other doing something that you can all have fun. The results are sure to be fantastic, though we can’t make any promises for the state of your kitchen.
Melting Snowmen Cookies
Asking if climate change is real is like asking, are sugar cookies delicious? Well, not everyone gets to have a white winter, but instead of mourning the lack of snow, celebrate the weather with these tasty melting snowmen.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
seeds from 1/2 of a vanilla bean (optional)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened to room temperature
· In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
· Cream together the sugar and butter with an electric mixer.
· Add eggs and continue blending.
· Add the vanilla extract, seeds from vanilla bean, sour cream and cream cheese and blend thoroughly.
· In 1/2 cup increments, add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until a soft dough forms.
· The dough should be sticky, but slightly firm.
· Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
· Once the dough has chilled, preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment. Set aside.
· Generously flour a work surface, unwrap your dough and place onto the floured surface. Dust the top of the dough with more flour.
· Roll out with a rolling pin until 1/3 inch thick and cut with a glass or with a cookie cutter into flat round discs.
· Lay these out on the baking sheets, evenly spaced and bake at 425 degrees F for 6-7 minutes until cookies become golden around the edges and feel slightly firm to the touch.
· Set aside to cool.
* Tip* Add your favorite extract flavoring to your cookie dough mix for your very own homemade touch.
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract or your favorite
assorted food coloring
. In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth.
· Beat in corn syrup and flavored extract until icing is smooth and glossy.
· If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
· The right consistency should drip slightly off of cookies, but for decorating it should be stiffer which means add more powdered sugar.
DECORATING MELTING SNOWMEN
Cake frosting (colored tubes)
· Once the cookies are cool, paint them with icing with the back of a spoon. Let some dribble over the edge for a "puddle" look.
· Spray a microwave safe plate with cooking spray and place marshmallows on the plate. Set the microwave for 30 seconds, but stop the microwave as soon as the marshmallows start to get puffy, but do not let them double in size.
· Spray your fingers with cooking spray and carefully pull the marshmallows off by the base, and set them on top of the frosted cookies, pushing them gently into the still-wet frosting.
· At this point either set the cookies aside for the frosting to set, before decorating, or just go ahead and decorate as you'd like with the frosting tubes, or your own homemade frosting!
Red Velvet Peppermint Thumbprint Kiss Cookies
Like the title, these cookies are a delicious mouthful! Easy to make too, enjoy spreading the love this holiday by pressing kisses into red velvet cookie dough and onto the cheeks of those you love.
1-1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon liquid red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar
Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses
· Preheat your oven to 325º
· Line cookie sheets in preparation with parchment paper
· In a small bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
· Combine oil, brown sugar and white sugar and blend until smooth.
· Add eggs and blend until creamy.
· Mix in red food coloring, vanilla and vinegar.
· Add flour mixture and blend until completely combined.
· Scoop dough into about 1" balls and place on cookie sheet, leaving even space between each one.
· Bake for about 12 minutes in preheated oven, or until edges are set.
· Remove from oven and press Hershey's Kiss candy into the middle of each cookie.
· Let rest for one minute and then gently tap the cookie sheet on counter to make the Kiss drop into a thumbprint. Alternately, if you want the Kiss intact, don't tap the cookie sheet.
· Let cool, harden and then enjoy.
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
A perfect marriage of salty and sweet, this dream-team is the holiday present you’ve been waiting for.
3/4 cup (1 & 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1/4 cup bacon fat
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 & 1/4 cup flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
8-10 ounces of bacon (or more, if you like)
· Fry bacon until crispy over stovetop, medium heat and set aside.
· Save the bacon grease in a glass container and allow to cool until solid.
· Preheat oven to 375 F.
· In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, bacon fat, sugars and vanilla. Blend until fluffy.
· Add eggs and baking soda and mix until thoroughly blended.
· Add flour and mix until thoroughly blended and then set aside.
· Crumble as much of the fried bacon as you would like sprinkled in your cookies.
· Stir in bacon and chocolate chips to dough.
· Drop rounded scoops, evenly spaced onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
· Bake in the oven at 375 F for about 8 minutes until slightly risen and golden brown
· Enjoy your sweet and salty treat (and then hit the gym)!
Try these cookies and add them to your baking repertoire for a winter holiday tradition everyone will love. Don't forget to tweet us your favourite creations.
· Courtesy of foodfunlife.blogspot.com
· Courtesy of Angela Gray; justapinch.com
Melting snowman.jpeg http://www.justapinch.com
· Courtesy of yummyhealthyeasy.com
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Put The Cookie Down! Recharge With These Recipes For Healthy Desi-Inspired Power Snacks
My Takeaway Treat With Madhu's New 2 Go Option In Knightsbridge, London
Cheap & Cheerful! Freshen Up Your Space This Spring With These 4 Decor Tips Under $40
International Transgender Day Of Visibility: Researcher Jude Daya Shares His Journey And The Struggle To Be Seen
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This April 2021
Sick Of Your Omelette? Check Out These Delish Desi Breakfast Recipes Right Here!
5 Reasons Why Volunteering Will Always Be Good For Your Soul
Make Your Reading List Lit With These 7 Spring Books By Desi Authors
I Tried A Plant-Based Diet & Here's What Happened
#IWD2021: The Great Shecession: Will Reshma Saujani's 'Marshall Plan For Moms' Save The Women Labour Force From Extinction?
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This March 2021
My Takeaway Treat From The Regency Club: Kenyan-Indian Fusion Fare In North London
From Muslims To Farmers: Is Modi Turning A Blind Eye To Human Rights?
Sri Lanka's Dark History Of Enforced Disappearances Of Its Citizens
Blasphemy Laws In Pakistan: A Weapon Used To Silence Religious Minorities
Teach Them The Value Of Stillness With These 3 Mindful Books For Toddlers
Guacamole Pani Puri & More: Give Your Vday Dinner A Desi Tapas Twist With These 7 Crazy Delicious Pani Puri Recipes
Indian Farmers Go Viral With Support From Rihanna, Greta Thunberg, Rupi Kaur & Lilly Singh
A Timeless Ritual: Why Is Burning Sage All The Rage?
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This February 2021
How I've Been Taking Care Of My Mental Health Since My MS Diagnosis
My Takeout Treat From [email protected]: North Indian Cuisine With A Brit Twist
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This January 2021
It's Okay To Be Alone: Why Solitude Is Good For The Soul
Why Isn't Our Desi Community Ready To Accept South Asian Lesbians?
Reality Check: My West Indian Heritage Doesn't Make Me Any Less Indian
#BlackLivesMatter Needs The Right South Asian Ally
Tips On How To Embrace The New Decade With Positive Energy
South Asian Herstory: Why Kamala Harris Is The Risky Choice That This Election Needs
COVID-19: Are We The Virus? The (Much) Cleaner Earth Breathes In New Life Thanks To The Global Lockdown
20 In 2020: 20 South Asians Who Have Made A Difference In Politics This Year
Make The Perfect Holiday Feast For Your Solo Celebration
Why Our Founder/ CEO Raj Girn A 20-Year Media And Events Veteran, Is Launching A Transformation Academy To Build Personal & Professional Confidence During Trying Times ... And Why Her Mission Goes Deep Into Her Own 50-Year Trauma Journey
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This December 2020
The Delhi Chalo Protest: Why These Farmers Need To Fight
Profiles 29 & 30: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Home Decor
Profiles 27 & 28: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Guilty Pleasures
7 Ways To Give Your Gums A Healthy Boost
4 Hot Tech Gadgets That Are Out This November 2020
Profiles 15 & 16: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Books (Part Two)
Profiles 13 & 14: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Wellness
Dishoom In London Serves Breakfast With Bombay Flair
Profiles 11 & 12: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — Books (Part One)
Profiles 9 & 10: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI LIST Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — For The Foodie
The Colour Of Change: How Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris Became The Most Powerful South Asian Woman In The World
Diwali & Me — Recipes To Make Your Diwali Feast for One Simply Lit
Profiles 3 & 4: ANOKHI LIFE’s 18th Anniversary Special x The ANOKHI List Holiday Gift Guide 2020 — For The Kids
ANOKHI LIFE Marks Its 18th Anniversary This November With A First Of Its Kind Collaboration To Support South Asian Businesses Worldwide
Soho Wala Brings Small Plated Street Food Delights To Central London
Welcome Activia Shot Probiotic Yogurt Drink To Your Self-Care Routine
Farzana Doctor Sheds Light On A Secret & Controversial Custom In Her New Novel, "Seven"
8 Ways Brocade Can Bring Royal Vibes To Your Home This Festive Season
Elevate Your Evening At Benares In Mayfair, London
Make Your Soul Happy With This Fabulous Kashmiri Phirni Recipe!
VP Debate Wrap Up: Kamala Harris Showed The World What We As Women Of Colour Have To Deal With Every Day
How To Make The Perfect Thanksgiving Dinner For One