You guys, it’s mango season! To celebrate your mango love here are seven easy DIY recipes to help you enjoy the tropical fruit this summer! Well, you can thank us after trying them out!
There are two kinds of people in this world – the ones who eat mangoes like humans and the ones who don’t. If you are a mango lover, then maintaining human dignity while eating one is difficult. We love the cup scoopers, juice drinkers, and the messy eaters. Well, that’s how you enjoy this tropical fruit – no bars held! Summer misses a beat without this fruit. Worry not, here are five DIY recipes with the king of fruits that you can enjoy before summer vanishes. Mangolicious, ain’t it?
1. Corn & Raw Mango Salad
Simple, easy, healthy, and delicious – corn and mango salad is a deadly combination. The dish is well under 100 calories and is crunchy. Kids will love this too. Here’s what you need to do:
2 Corn ears husked
1 Mangoes peeled and diced
1/2 Yellow bell pepper cut into small pieces
1/2 Orange bell pepper cut into small pieces
1 Cup Cherry tomatoes cut into halves
1/4 Red onion chopped finely
1/2 Cup minced cilantro
2 Tbsp vinegar
Lemon extract for seasoning
1 Tbsp olive oil
Pepper if needed
Cut corn and place all the kernels in a bowl. Chop the rest of the vegetables and place them all the bowl and mix well. Four servings.
2. Mango Popsicle
These mango popsicles bring together the best of two things – ice cream and mangoes. Kids can make this and they will love it too. Well, if you ask us, it brings out the kid inside us!
Ripe mango- at least 2
Popsicle mold or small paper cups
Select your mangoes, skin, and chop them.
Meanwhile, take 1/4 cup of milk – boil it, and let it cool down.
Blend together mangoes, milk, sugar/honey, and make it into a smooth paste. A quick tip – add the sugar as per the taste of the mangoes.
Pout the mango pulp into popsicle molds, cover it and freeze it for about 1.5 hours. Make sure to place the ice cream stick into the molds when it is semi-frozen.
Remove the molds and serve cold!
3. Mango Coconut Chia Pudding
This simple pudding can be a healthy snack for the entire family and can be had at any point during the day. The chia seeds bring with them protein, fiber, and omega-3 fats. While the coconut milk makes the texture of the pudding thick. Here’s how to try this one!
1 Cup full-fat coconut milk
3 Tbsp chia seeds
2 Cups chopped mango
2 Tbsp maple syrup/honey/sugar or any other sweetener of your choice
Mix chia seeds and coconut milk and leave it to rest for 10 minutes
In a blender, mix the mangoes and honey till they become smooth
Layer the chia pudding and the pureed mango evenly
Garnish with coconut flakes
4. Mango Panna aka Aam Panna
Beat the heat with Mango panna which is well known for its cooling effects. A perfect blend of tangy and spicy- this one is an excellent source of vitamin C, a perfect remedy for exhaustion and heat.
1 medium-sized mango
1/4 cup sugar (measure according to the sourness of the mangoes)
1/2 Tsp roasted jeera powder (cumin powder)
A small cup of mint leaves
Rock Salt or black salt
There are quite a few ways to cook the mangoes –
Pressure cook the mangoes for 2 whistles, remove the skin and take the pulp. Discard the seed.
You could also peel the skin, cut the mangoes, and boil them in water with sugar to get a concentrated mix that can be stored in the refrigerator.
1. Mix 3 cups of chilled water. Add jeera powder, salt, ice cubes, and mix well.
2. Add sugar if need be. You don’t need extra sugar if you are using the concentrated version.
3. Crush mint leaves to the drink.
4. Serve chill
5. Mango Rasam
1 Unripe mango
1/4 Tsp turmeric
Salt – As needed
3 Green chilli
1 Tsp jaggery
1 Tsp coriander leaves (make sure to chop them)
2- Green chilli
1 Tsp Black pepper
1 Tsp Cumin seeds
1 Tsp oil
3/4 Tsp mustard
1 Red chilli
1 Pinch of asafoetida
1 Curry leaves
1. Peel then slice the mangoes, followed by pressure cooking them. Don’t forget to mash them well then add 2 and a 1/2 to 3 cups of water, salt, turmeric, and slit green chillies.
2. On the other side, powder pepper, cumin seeds, and green chillies.
3. Add the powder to the rasam, add jaggery and boil well for 2 mins. Lastly, add finely chopped coriander leaves.
4. Add some oil to the pan, add mustard seeds, red chillies, asafoetida, and some curry leaves. Once all of them turn brown, you have finished the tempering. Add the mixture to the rasam and we are done!
6. Mango Masala Rice
If you want to try something different this summer, then try this simple masala rice that can be the perfect lunch. All you need is a raitha and papad for the side. Masala rice needs
1 Raw mango
3 Cups cooked rice
2 Tsp chili powder
One pinch turmeric powder
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tsp mustard seeds
A few curry leaves
1. Peel the mango and cut the mango into small pieces. Discard the seed.
2. Meanwhile, cook Basmati rice with a few drops of oil. This way the rice won’t get mushy. Once the rice is cooked, spread it on the pate and let it cool.
3. In a pan, heat oil, add some mustard seeds, and let it splutter. Follow it by curry leaves and then add chopped mangoes, turmeric powder, chili powder, and salt as needed.
4. Saute the mixture till the raw flavor of the masalas is gone. Make sure you don’t overcook the mangoes.
5. Add the mango mixture to the rice, sprinkle salt accordingly. Add some coriander and serve!
7. Mango Kheer
Mangoes are also known to be dessert fruits. They can leave you with a sense of satisfaction especially when they come in the form of a sweet. Here’s one such recipe of Mango Kheer:
1 Cup mango pulp (puree)
3/4 cup semiya (vermicelli)
1 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
3/4 Tsp elaichi powder (cardamom)
6 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp slivered badam (badam)
1/4 Cup raisins
1/4 Tsp saffron strands
1. Pulp mangoes and thinly slice down the almonds.
2. Heat ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan and roast vermicelli till it turns golden brown in colour.
3. Once the vermicelli is roasted, add full cream milk, and make sure it boils well. Let it cook well for a few minutes and don’t forget to keep stirring.
4. Once the vermicelli goes soft, add sugar, and cook till the sugar dissolves and mixes well with the vermicelli.
5. All that’s left is for you to add raisins and cardamom powder, give a nice stir and switch off the flame.
6. Let the kheer cool down then add mango pulp, mix it properly and refrigerate Mango Kheer for at least an hour.
7. Garnish the kheer with almond flakes and serve chilled.
Main Image Photo Credit: https://jessicainthekitchen.com
Mrinalini Sundar (new_girl_in_to) has worked with various Indian national, international publications including Times Of India and is currently based out of Toronto. She's constantly in search of high adventure, exotic food, and new experiences. She is the happiest amidst mountains, with no wi-fi.
Transgender Activist Akkai Padmashali On Bringing Dignity & Equality To The Trans Community Of India
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Want A Getaway? Check Out These 6 Travel Movies That Will Give You A Wanderlust Vibe
Why Isn't Our Desi Community Ready To Accept South Asian Lesbians?
Easy Breezy Summer Cocktail Recipes To Try At Home
Here Are 8 Key Things You Can Do To Support The Trans Community
Make Your Dad Feel Like A Superstar With These Father's Day Gifts
Educate Yourself On #BlackLivesMatter With These Key Books
Mindful Health: You'll Be Surprised At What These 3 Super Spices Can Do For You
#BlackLivesMatter Needs The Right South Asian Ally
NYC's India Center Foundation Hands Out Big Dollars For Artists Affected By COVID-19
June 2020 Hottest Tech Gadgets That You Need Now!
Transgender Activist Akkai Padmashali On Bringing Dignity & Equality To The Trans Community Of India
In Search Of Justice For George Floyd — A Snapshot Of A Burning America
Staying Indoors? Boost Your Body With These 5 Vitamin Gummies
Art History Of Sri Lanka: 3 Pioneering Modern Artists You Should Know
Be A Home School Hero With These Key Teaching Tips
#WomenSupportingWomen: Celebrating The 2020 L'Oréal Paris Women Of Worth Honourees
Art History Of Bangladesh: 4 Pioneering Modern Artists You Should Know
Boomer, Gen X And Gen Y — Three Moms From Different Generations Share Their Motherhood Experiences And More
Art History Of Pakistan: 4 Pioneering Modern Artists You Should Know
May 2020 Hot Tech Gadgets That You Need Now!
Art History Of India: 4 Pioneering Modern Artists You Should Know
COVID-19: Sikh Nation Breaks Records With Their Biggest Blood Drive In Canada
COVID-19: Game On! Self-Isolation Is Turning People Into Serious Gamers
COVID-19: Are We The Virus? The (Much) Cleaner Earth Breathes In New Life Thanks To The Global Lockdown
COVID-19: What Happens To The Strays And Pets During India's 21-Day Lockdown?
Ramadan 2020 Food Guide: What To Eat & What To Avoid During Your Month Of Fasting
COVID-19: These South Asian Healthcare Workers Are Making A Difference On The Frontlines
COVID-19: Feel The Groove With These Online Bollywood & Bhangra Dance Classes
COVID-19: 7 Chefs To Follow For Fresh Quarantine Recipes
COVID-19: Three Journalists Tell Us What It's Like Inside India’s 21-Day Lockdown
COVID-19: Clinical Psychologist Dr. Monica Vermani Shares Her Tips On How To Survive And Thrive Through This Time
COVID-19: Ace The Fitness Game With Bollywood Celebs & Their Trainers At Home!
COVID-19: 5 Key Ways To Manage Your Mental Health
#RajGirnThisIs50 Birthday Extravaganza Was A Night To Remember!
World Water Day 2020: Can A Water Treaty Save South Asian Countries?
March 2020 Hot Tech Gadgets That You Need Now!
Why Are Pakistani Girls Being Sold As Brides To Chinese Men?
Namaste Trump: The Moments From Trump's India Trip That Mattered
Masala Zone Brings Authentic Indian Street Food To London
Soothe Your Soul With These 3 South Indian Soup Recipes
World Day Of Social Justice: How Nepal & Pakistan Are Fighting For Their People's Future
Mindful Money: 5 Ways To Keep Your Spending In Check
The Desi Rappers Who Are Fighting To Make Bernie Sanders President
Looking For Love? These Desi Dating Apps May Just Be For You!
Recipes For Romance: 3 Ways To Give Your Valentine's Day Dinner A Delicious Desi Twist
It's Okay To Be Alone: Why Solitude Is Good For The Soul
My Soul-Enriching Experience At The Sivananda Yoga Ashram In The Bahamas
Hot February 2020 Tech Gadgets That You Need Now
Tips On How To Embrace The New Decade With Positive Energy
It's Time To Recognize That Depression Is a Serious Problem For Us
Game On! Feed Your Super Bowl Fans These Delish Desi-Inspired Bites
Kutir Celebrates India's Wildlife Culinary Heritage In The Heart Of Chelsea UK
Pantone Colour Of The Year 2020: Brighten Up Your Haveli With These Classic Blue Touches
January 2020 Hot Tech Gadgets That You Need Now!
2. Why The Priyanka 'Hypocrite' Story Just Won't Go Away
7. Trudeau In Brownface Scandal: Should We Forgive Him?
10. Actioning Abundance: Mindful Ways To Bring Mental, Emotional & Spiritual Abundance Into Your Life
ANOKHI Life Holiday Gift Guide 2019: The Coolest Ethnic Decor Ideas For Gifting
ANOKHI Life Holiday Gift Guide 2019: Be "Present" With These Mindful South Asian-Inspired Gifts
Hot December Tech Gadgets That You Need Now!
Newsletter Sign Up
Subscribe to our FREE newsletter for all of the latest news, buzz, blogs and radio shows, delivered directly to your inbox!